Sunday 13 February 2011

Unit 1 - Reflective Statement

Since starting the course I have progressed and learnt a great deal, particularly during this unit where I have completed a lot of research, analysis, knowledge, communication, presentation and development.  I have always enjoyed textiles but I feel that this course has really stimulated me, helped me progress and become even more passionate about textiles.  It is difficult to explain why, but I think the main reason behind my progress is the energy within the creative environment at Chelsea, especially whilst learning alongside others who are also driven to learn about the techniques, processes and problem solving in textiles.  Working with others who are also creative allows me to bounce ideas around, and the amount of contact time with tutors means that I can refine my work, debate new ideas and learn new skills.  I have learnt to time-manage myself better; I think this has been influenced by the way the course is taught and laid out.  At first, the idea of creating a blog concerned me as I am not a confident writer and posting my work onto the internet for people to see put me off.  So I kept pushing my blog to one side.  It is also time consuming and I have previously preferred to write reflective notes in a journal.  However, with the deadline approaching I had to start my blog and, in spite of everything, I actually quite enjoyed creating my blog; it’s not as bad as I thought.  But, I realise that I might have a couple of weaknesses; I must keep reflecting on my work on the blog, by evaluating more frequently, I should get straight to the point rather than writing too much and I mustn’t just add progress of my work but also my research, including visits to museums.  So, starting this blog has been a learning curve that should be very useful, motivating and thought provoking.   This is my first time blogging, so I have a real sense of achievement.  I have posted everything onto my blog that was needed for the assessment, thought about the presentation, evaluated my work and included all the appropriate research and gallery visits.  I must now use my new found enthusiasm for blogs to keep posting updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment